Pages

Translate

Sunday, January 17, 2010

ST.LOUIS. Start of An American Road Trip

My lovey love and I decided to take a road trip together from St. Louis, Missouri back to Florida, stopping in Nashville, Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia. It was quite the frigid but amazing experience during a very cold Continental US December :). He graduated a semester early and is officially a degree holder in History and Art History (I'm SO proud of him :) ) Anyway, I flew in to meet him in St. Louis, home of many things like the Gateway Arch (the Gateway to the West).
(A representation of St. Louis in the Union Station)

We only stayed for a night, but we definitely took advantage of our time in a different city.
In my opinion we stayed at one of the most unique hotels I have ever stayed in, as well as in the area: The Union Station. It was formerly a train station but now it is an amazing hotel :).
We walked through downtown St. Louis to go to the Gateway Arch, and stopped at some adorable open parks/nature areas that are smack in the middle of the downtown area, which was gigantic! We weren't there for long and decided not to go up (although that's an option for about 10 dollars) because it was beyond cold. In our hotel we went to some restaurants. We had the best hummus of our lives in the Union's cafe. The station has several different shops and restaurants..
The next day (sans a heater!) we went to the City Museum which was the most unique place I have ever been to. It is basically a much more classier and eclectic "Chuckie Cheeses'" but for children and adults alike. EVERYTHING in the "museum" has had a "life" before it entered. So everything is recycled. For instance they have a whale replica made out of who knows what that you can go into. It has a 7 STORY SLIDE which Michael and I slid down, it was awesome! It was pretty unbelievable.
(a whole other section outside, here we are several stories up)


 You had to pay attention to where you went because there were secret nooks and crannies you could crawl in or under, like this hidden underground (and very narrow) tunnel. Which I just about had claustrophobic attack, but I crawled through it! You definitely need to wear sneakers, I was in boots that definitely got torn up.  We spent about 2 and a half hours there but you can easily spend the whole day, we just didn't have the time but it is definitely a MUST. There were also some historic museums near the hotel we wanted to go to but we were out of time...Nashyville was our next adventure stop! :)


(some) MUST DOs: Union Station Hotel, Gateway Arch, City Museum. 
City Museum (Website)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. You are blessed to have the opportunity to travel freely to whatever destination your heart desires. I am thrilled you are living life to your fullest! 'Travel and discover the world'...I always say that to you and your brother. You are quite the worldly American Girl! Did I mention I'm very proud of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey Alexandra Formel--You are so beautiful and smart!

    ReplyDelete