Pages

Translate

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sweden. Stockholm, Goteburg and Marstrand Island

in a word, puremagic! Of all the places I have visited and traveled to, I can picture myself living and extremely happy in Sweden (besides England and Amsterdam) :)
First glimpse, Stockholm's port is said to be one of the most beautiful port entries in the world. agreed!


First glimpses of Stockholm!


you're definitely NOT in kansas anymore...


Mike looking rather dashing!


The captain was right, Stockholm has one of the most beautiful entrance ports in the world. We went quite slowly through the area, from side to side of the rather narrow canal we saw wonderful Swedish homes :)




Inside the Vasa Museum. A museum built around a sunken Swedish ship!


There it is!












I love the architecture here, very regal looking with a mix of baroque 






near the royal palace. When we were there Swedish King Carl was going through a public scandal (money and mistresses) that many Swedes were upset about.


most of Stockholm consisted of narrow quaint streets




a gorgeous Baltic sunset <3




:)


Me 'leading' the tour..to the tour bus hahaha


gorgeous natural rock surroundings


typical! 


the view of the very quintessential perfect Swedish town of Marstrand. See the fort in the background? we hiked it and got the most refreshing breeze




Me and Mike about to board the ferry 


Marstrand Island holds a world famous regatta every year, this sailing town had even more sailors that weekend




we loved this island! pictures pictures all day long!


steeper than it looks, we had to go through a handful of them to get to the fort..and a spectacular view, well worth it


This house was something out of hansel & gretel, the colors weren't "usual" and I loved it, I had to snap a shot..but I always do anyway..


Wouldn't it be lovely to have this be your backyard??


Look how clear the water is!


The Swedes LOVE their dogs and nature. This is just one shot of several, where they are just walking about with their furry friends.




We ate lunch near here, in a building similar to this. It was delicious minced veal. One of the best 'typical' country meals we had in the Baltic. 


This was a ridiculously steep hill but so worth it for the views we saw and pictures we took, up at the top was where the Old Marstrand fort is situated.


Mike trying his best to impersonate a stoic guard


as high as we could go for the view of the town and the pretty sailboats below us




righteous! Sweden I love you!


We had a legit photo shoot up at the top of the fort, silly&&fun!


Pics cannot do what we saw justice. There were flowers sprouting out from every which stone. Some so vibrant and unique I had never seen before. On Marstrand Island I often wondered if the people here know they live in a fairytale land? Its that beautiful. And I think they do because they treat their nature so well and with a fierce passion. It is clear that the Swedes are highly nature oriented.


Breathtaking.




another group of climbers


look at the pint sized sailboat, precious! It looked like a sailboat fit for a minion!




I really have never seen nature at this level before, little sprouts of land sprinkled throughout the sea


"Goteburg"/Gothenburg, nicknamed tiny London
















typical, boats boats everywhere!


This was at another tiny island near Marstrand. In the back people are just frolicking in the water and jumping off rocks. I wanted to join them so bad! There's so much MORE we wanted to do in Sweden. Which makes it the country we want most to return to. It really felt like we were inside pages in a fairytale. I have more pictures from my own camera I will post. The Swedes are surrounded by so much natural beauty, they also take such impeccable care of their surroundings to keep them that way.
We were so lucky because the weather was divine!! No clouds or rain, we brought the sunshine with us wherever we went :)

MUST DOs:

Vasa Museum
Eat minced Veal (their specialty)
Try to find some swedish fish candy-good luck!
Visit the royal palace
Go to old town Stockholm
Buy a troll
Go to Goteburg
Visit Marstrand Island, the drive is gorgeous in itself!
Take a swim in their lakes!
Take a sailboat around (didn't get to do that but def. will next time)
Visit Marstrands Old Fort
Go to the famous Stockholm Theatre and catch a show (Swedes are huge on Drama, Acting, Music etc.) Skarsgard (he's in Deep Blue Sea/ Thor to name a few) got his start their according to our tour guide

2 comments:

  1. Your metamorphasis from American girl to World traveler is simply superb darling...Simply Superb!

    ReplyDelete